On Saturday, May 26th 2018, Epilepsy Toronto will host their annual conference in downtown Toronto. This year’s theme is Knowledge is Power, and will focus on providing up-to-date information about medical treatments for people with epilepsy and their families. Several EpLink researchers will provide updates on the following topics:
- Dr. McIntyre Burnham will discuss the role of genetics in epilepsy, what significant research advances have been made to date, and what research will be done within this area over the next 6 years here in Ontario, ultimately highlighting how gene therapy can impact the life of someone living with epilepsy. Dr. Burnham will also provide a status update on EpLink’s clinical trial to study the effects of cannabidiol (a cannabis extract) on seizure control for adults with drug-resistant epilepsy.
- Dr. Elizabeth Kerr will address how epilepsy can impact children’s behaviour and academic performance and how seizure type/frequency, comorbidities, and medication side effects impact school success.
- Dr. Amaya Singh will discuss how knowing the recommended diagnosis, treatment and referral pathway can help people with epilepsy find the right treatment at the right time. She will also highlight current recommendations related to the management of epilepsy.
- Dr. Mary Lou Smith will provide an update on the “EpUp” study results, discussing whether an intervention program designed to provide coping strategies for people with epilepsy improves symptoms of depression. She will also describe the new “STREAM” program that is being developed to provide coping strategies to people with epilepsy who have memory problems.
- Dr. Taufik Valiante will discuss how new approaches and technologies are being developed to monitor and change brain activity to stop seizures and what research will be done within this area over the next 6 years here in Ontario to improve seizure control and quality of life for people with epilepsy.
Registration is $20, and space is limited! For more information or to register, please visit this link.